Mishlei (Proverbs) 31:22,24

כב מַרְבַדִּים עָשְׂתָה-לָּהּ שֵׁשׁ וְאַרְגָּמָן לְבוּשָׁהּ
כד סָדִין עָשְׂתָה וַתִּמְכֹּר
She made for herself pleasant-looking bed covers; she also made herself white (linen) and purple garments to wear
She manufactured robes and sold them

Rosh Hashana Dress for your Princess

For Rosh Hashana this year, I sewed a dress for my daughter, using a Simplicity 8488 pattern. The pattern is actually for nightgowns, but like the women's nightgown pattern which I adapted as a blouse, I decided to adapt this one for a child.

This pattern has a straight yoke and gathered front piece.  The dress I made has long sleeves much like in view D (see the girl with the teddy bear), except that it is longer to be a dress, and it also has a gathered waist section, using elastic thread.

The neckline, of course, has to be modest, and I chose to add a mock neckband to it. The sleeves are gathered 2 inches above the hem.


Since the dress is for Rosh Hashana, it has to have a compatible theme.  The fabric is printed cotton knit with apples, apples and apples!   What I love about this dress, besides the apple print, is the high quality interlock cotton knit that I purchased from Chez Ami, in addition to elastic thread and the lettuce-edge hem at the sleeves and dress.  I just love my Brother Serger for the ability to do the lettuce-edge narrow hem.  Visit my Sewing Library for hand-selected items that will help you love sewing!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Training Girls in Dressmaking

In our times, it is highly commendable to train girls in the art of dressmaking and general sewing. Lessons should be given on this subject in schools, and if necessary, also in seminaries.

If the girl becomes really expert, she will even be able to make garments for herself, and later on, when married also for her daughters. Also, she could take up dressmaking as a profession.

Source: Modesty, an Adornment for Life, Rabbi Pesach Eliyahu Falk