Mishlei (Proverbs) 31:22,24

כב מַרְבַדִּים עָשְׂתָה-לָּהּ שֵׁשׁ וְאַרְגָּמָן לְבוּשָׁהּ
כד סָדִין עָשְׂתָה וַתִּמְכֹּר
She made for herself pleasant-looking bed covers; she also made herself white (linen) and purple garments to wear
She manufactured robes and sold them

Butterick 5356 Pattern Adaptation

I love blouses with yoke.  I think they are so modest and elegant.  Here is one pattern from Butterick 5356 which I've adapted to fit Jewish modesty standards. In this pattern, the yoke is together with the sleeve as one piece.  The front piece below the yoke is gathered at the center and assembled together with the yoke. The back blouse is not gathered below the yoke.

You have a choice of sleeve styles.  The sleeve in the "pink" blouse is a tad too short for me, and quite wide, so I have a choice of narrowing the sleeves by gathering the hem and then attaching a cuff to it.  The neckline is obviously too wide as you can see the collar bone and the shoulder.  To be Jewishly modest according to Halacha, I chose to add a neckband to it.

In addition, the pattern does not call for elasticized hem at the blouse.  I decided to do that to make it different.  I also decided to add a lace trim between the yoke and the blouse piece for the front and back.

So, as you can see in the right picture, my yoke blouse looks a bit un-recognizable from the Butterick pattern.  But thanks to it, I was able to flair it up to meet modest Jewish standards and hope to enjoy it for Rosh Hashana!

Wishing my readers a Kesiva v'Chasima Tovah!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Training Girls in Dressmaking

In our times, it is highly commendable to train girls in the art of dressmaking and general sewing. Lessons should be given on this subject in schools, and if necessary, also in seminaries.

If the girl becomes really expert, she will even be able to make garments for herself, and later on, when married also for her daughters. Also, she could take up dressmaking as a profession.

Source: Modesty, an Adornment for Life, Rabbi Pesach Eliyahu Falk