Mishlei (Proverbs) 31:22,24

כב מַרְבַדִּים עָשְׂתָה-לָּהּ שֵׁשׁ וְאַרְגָּמָן לְבוּשָׁהּ
כד סָדִין עָשְׂתָה וַתִּמְכֹּר
She made for herself pleasant-looking bed covers; she also made herself white (linen) and purple garments to wear
She manufactured robes and sold them

Two-hour Purim Costume

Purim is not complete without costumes for the kids. Thanks to the SureFit Design's Children's Kit, I was able to whip up a last-minute costume for my son.  He designed his outfit using Lego Digital Designer, an interactive software for building virtual Lego scenes and characters.  So, this is what my son came up with:
Star Fleet Commander
My mission: I only had a few hours to make this costume from scraps.
Sewing level: intermediate

I had to take my son's measurements and draft a master pattern.  Then, based on the design above, I had to start designing by slashing the master pattern into pieces to match the colors.  Three colors were used - white, black and red.  Well, red is not a good color to use for Torah-abiding Jews.  So, the closest thing was orange. The sleeves are orange and the main bodice is white and black.  The rest of the embellishments are either sewn-in or iron-on appliques.

In two hours, I produced the following out of scraps.

Basic three-colored shirt
The embellishments were left for my dear son to do.  He made cardboard appliques that were attached via Velcro to the costume.  Here's the final product.

Happy Purim!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Training Girls in Dressmaking

In our times, it is highly commendable to train girls in the art of dressmaking and general sewing. Lessons should be given on this subject in schools, and if necessary, also in seminaries.

If the girl becomes really expert, she will even be able to make garments for herself, and later on, when married also for her daughters. Also, she could take up dressmaking as a profession.

Source: Modesty, an Adornment for Life, Rabbi Pesach Eliyahu Falk